From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gallium and nVidia
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:35:30
1 On 29/07/13 18:38, András Csányi wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I would like to some clarification to support my feeling regarding
5 > gallium related use flags in mesa package.
6 >
7 > For some reason I have to rebuild a few packages on my machine and
8 > xorg-server and mesa are among them. I experienced that if the "xorg"
9 > USE flag of mesa is enabled then I got compiling error. After a little
10 > searching I could see that this use flag enables gallium3d.
11 >
12 > My question is that, as a nvidia user - I have an nvidia card and I
13 > use a nvidia driver from nvidia-drivers package - do I need this use
14 > flag? Do I need the gallium related use flags in mesa?
15
16 I have "gallium" enabled and am also using nvidia-drivers. It doesn't do
17 anything when running those drivers though. What it can do though is
18 provide software OpenGL rendering, in case you need a fallback.
19
20 In any event, it doesn't conflict with nvidia-drivers, since it's not
21 used if you did:
22
23 eselect opengl nvidia
24
25 (Which I assume you did, since otherwise you wouldn't have 3D support
26 with the nvidia drivers.)