From: Raptor <raptor@××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying to block third party ip address with iptables...
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:58:22
1 > Hello,
2 >
3 > I am using shorewall on my local computer (the same I'm surfing the web
4 > with). My skills with iptables are not really good and my understanding
5 > of networking also has some holes in it... However, I'm trying to
6 > prevent firefox from accessing a third party site; I'm logging onto a
7 > site with firefox. With netstat I can see that besides the usual ip
8 > address belonging to the site another ip-address (not belonging to the
9 > original site) shows up. While trying to block the additional ip address
10 > with both "iptables -A INPUT -s xxxx -j DROP" and "iptables -A OUTPUT -d
11 > xxxx -j DROP" it still sends a SYN request to this site. This makes
12 > firefox just sit there waiting for a time-out. How can I prevent firefox
13 > from accessing the other site, while still accessing the original one?
14 >
15 > Best regards
16 >
17 > Peter K
20 Couldn't you use squid as a proxy and squidguard for filtering the site
21 you want to access or block?
22 As an example if you access a web site which have link to advertisement
23 third party site, you could use squiguard to block the ad and let you
24 browse the content of the original website.
25
26 I know this approach doesn't use iptables but perhaps it could help you...
30 http://www.drakonix.fr