From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Bind to 127.0.0.N for any N
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 02:34:35
1 On 1/28/21 7:09 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I think that's probably right. I had never used the 'ip route'
3 > command like that and was unaware that route existed.
4
5 *nod*
6
7 iproute2 has supplanted the venerable net-tools (or whatever it's
8 called); ifconfig, route, netstat, etc.
9
10 I sort of put pressure on my self to start using them 20 years ago, and
11 largely failed. It wasn't until about 5-10 years ago when I started
12 doing things with ip that couldn't be done with other older commands
13 that I started succeeding in migrating over to iproute2 for 90% of what
14 I do.
15
16 Admittedly, I still periodically find myself using ifconfig for quick
17 status. All things I can get from ip, but not as readily handy.
18
19 Ironically, I've found myself doing / planning to do things within the
20 last six months that iproute2 can't / won't do; DECnet, IPX, and AX.25/ROSE.
21
22 > Yes, that's correct. [I just tested it]
23 >
24 > Also correct.
25
26 Thank you for confirming.