From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] The latest java plugin is a giant PITA
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 16:00:08
1 I admit that Oracle finally did something right by requiring a white-list
2 of all java websites you want to use, but it's taken me all morning to
3 understand how to do it.
4
5 AFAICT, the only way to white-list a website is to use the Java Control
6 Panel (jcontrol) and type the full URL including the http:// or preferably
7 the https:// if you don't want a nag screen.
8
9 For example, here's a site I visit every morning:
10
11 http://www.goes.noaa.gov/goes-w.html which lets me watch a java-powered
12 image loop of the weather over the Pacific Ocean.
13
14 Now I click on the button to animate the image, and I get a pop-up saying
15 that this untrusted website wants to do something awful and refuses to let
16 it run java, period. No explanation of how I can 'trust' the website.
17
18 How many people are going to figure out they need to run the Java Control
19 Panel and manually add this site to the list of trusted sites?
20
21 And, now that I've added "http://www.goes.noaa.gov" manually, I try the
22 site again.
23
24 Nope. The jar file I need is on a "different domain" (www.sdd.noaa.gov)
25 so now I need to add that URL to the white list <sigh> including http://
26
27 Now, I agree that they did it right from a security point of view, but
28 jeez, they could have done the user interface a bit better.
29
30 Or maybe they did it better and I haven't found it yet?