From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 08:29:29
1 On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:17:02PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 19:04:41 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 >
4 > > > I suppose that what I am about to say isn't really relevant, but it is
5 > > > unfortunate over the past year that people blamed udev specifically
6 > > > for this. It is true that it does things that don't work if /usr isn't
7 > > > mounted, but eudev does as well, since it is basically the same code.
8 > >
9 > > Who else is there to blame? We are continually being told that a
10 > > separate /usr is "broken", as though this were some unfortunate act of
11 > > <insert your deity here>, much like an earthquake. This gets
12 > > patronising really quickly. (Please note, I'm NOT blaming you here. I
13 > > appreciate that you're as much victim as Dale or me or anyone else
14 > > round here.)
15 >
16 > It's evolution. Linux has for years been moving in this direction, now it
17 > has reached the point where the Gentoo devs can no longer devote the
18 > increasing time needed to support what has now become an dge case.
19
20 Yeah and that's just vague crap without content ;)
21
22 > > No, this breaking of separate /usr was done by some specific project,
23 > > some specific person, even, in a supreme display of incompetence,
24 > > malice, or arrogance. How come this project and this person have
25 > > managed to maintain such a low profile? There seems to have been some
26 > > sort of conspiracy to do this breakage in secret, each member of the
27 > > coven pushing the plot until the damage was irrevocable. Who was it?
28 >
29 > So which was it, one specific person or a coven of conspirators? This is
30 > open source, secret conspiracies don't really work well. If this really
31 > was such a bad move, do you really think the likes of Greg K-H would not
32 > have stepped in? Or is he a conspirator too?
33
34 No he's just a bit naive: he wants to believe the best of people and did
35 not realise quite how sneaky Poettering is. No doubt he still doesn't. But
36 I'm sure he never foresaw some of their shenanighans, such as claiming their
37 newly inserted breakage was the fault of device-drivers and everyone should
38 switch to their funky new way of loading modules. No-one seemed to think
39 what Torvalds said was incorrect, even if they disagreed with his tone.
40
41 And yet that's exactly the same crap they pull in user-space, only they seem
42 to think the kernel mentality of "userspace is crazy" is a howto methodology.
45 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)