From: czernitko <czernitko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to cross compile Perl for ARM?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 14:54:27
1 Hello Jonas!
4 there is probably a better way to do this, but it should be possible to
5 > make a local overlay and modify the ebuild's src_compile to do emake in
6 > the Cross directory.
7 >
8 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/index.html
11 So far this seems to me to be the most reasonable way. I would like to stick
12 to the gentoo way of doing cross compilation, even if it encounters some
13 minor hacks. I'll try it, thanks for pointing me there.
16 > are you documenting your progress somewhere?
19 Nope, but for quite a while I'm considering to put up some blog (or
20 something on google sites)...
23 > can you please point me to
24 > the documents that helped you put together the cross compilation
25 > toolchain?
28 In fact only embedded gentoo
29 documentation<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/>and trial
30 and error method. I succeeded with
31
32 crossdev --b 2.21.1 --g 4.5.3 --l 2.11.3 --k 2.6.36 -t
33 arm-none-linux-gnueabi
34
35 which compiled succesfully and created toolchain that can create binaries
36 compatible with my Netgear Stora. So far I haven't tried emerged packages as
37 I am not sure if they will run unless built statically, but sample C program
38 compiled with cross compiler runs ok.
41 > that actually sounds like it successfully cross-compiled try.c, but
42 > *of course* it does not run on your host platform! that check is
43 > probably omitted in Cross/Makefile which might why they are telling you
44 > to run that one.
47 I agree, I hope I can make some workaround in a short time for that. Using
48 my own overlay seems to be the most appropriate way, I'll write back as soon
49 as I have working ebuild limited to arm architecture...
50
51 Peter