From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD success - I think
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 01:02:01
1 On Saturday 22 Feb 2014 14:47:54 I wrote:
2
3 --->8
4
5 > ... would anyone like to suggest suitable parameters to mkfs for any of my
6 > file-systems? Here's the fstab:
7
8 --->8
9
10 Thank you gents for all your comments. I'm grateful. Here's what I think I
11 should do as a result:
12
13 1. Keep relatime in preference to noatime, to avoid getting access times
14 earlier than modification times. Man mount says mutt dislikes that condition,
15 and it looks like it shouldn't cost much in writes.
16
17 2. Add async and nodiratime, which I hadn't spotted. I couldn't find
18 norealtime in man mount.
19
20 3. Reinstate journalling to all the ext4 partitions.
21
22 4. Not try to fstrim the ext2 /boot partition.
23
24 5. Keep running the cron job (which I forgot to mention last time - sorry)
25 to run fstrim -v daily on all ext4 partitions.
26
27 There's also the question of suitable parameters to mke2fs to suit a partition
28 to /usr/portage, /usr/portage/packages and /var/cache/squid. I've left these
29 at the defaults but maybe I should set them specifically.
30
31 Once again, many thanks to the several people who offered advice. I can go to
32 bed happy now!
35 Regards
36 Peter