From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ppp-gentoo woes cont'd
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 00:13:31
1 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 >>
3 >> yoyo
4 >
5 > Thanks for your response. I did some research(ppp documentation is
6 > OLD!) and saved a bunch of likely files across the partition from
7 > ubuntu, and rebooted into gentoo.
8 >
9 > Just for the heck of it I made myself root right from the boot console
10 > and ran pon <isp> without touching anything else, and boom! I was
11 > connected. The only difference from last time was that I ran pon right
12 > from the boot console instead of what I usually do, namely running
13 > startx, opening a terminal making myself root etc. I cannot fathom how
14 > that would make a difference. Can anybody out there in gentoo-world?
15 > Didn't even have to rmmod the wifi and ethx drivers.
16 >
17 > MW
20 This brings back nightmares. It's been a while since I used dial-up but
21 this sounds like a permissions issue. Check /etc/group and see if you
22 are in ALL the following groups:
23
24 tty
25 uucp
26 dialout
27 utmp
28
29 You can also check the permissions of the ttyS<some number here> to see
30 what it is. Mine is uucp. You shouldn't have to create a group so work
31 with what you got for now. My devices are set to this:
32
33 root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/ttyS*
34 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 20 19:01 /dev/ttyS0
35 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS1
36 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS2
37 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS3
38 root@fireball / #
39
40 Sometimes pon/poff will need dialout for the program itself and tty to
41 access the ttyS* device. Then that leads to you also needing uucp.
42 Neat huh? Anyway, I suspect you need yourself added to the uucp group.
43 I seem to recall running into this once too. I also had to add myself
44 to utmp but I can recall why. I'm old, don't ask me to remember
45 everything. lol
46
47 If you have to change anything, don't forget to log out and back in.
48 This is very true if you are logged into KDE. If you forget that, you
49 will drive yourself ding bat crazy. o_O
50
51 I hope this gets you going. I want this nightmare to end. lol
52
53 Dale
54
58 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
59 how you interpreted my words!
60
61 Miss the compile output? Hint:
62 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"