From: Phil Sexton <philsexton@×××××××.Net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When to reboot after updates to the system
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:15:25
1 Kevin wrote:
2 > Hi All-
3 >
4 > I've read the portage documentation at
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=gentoo and I've searched
6 > and browsed the gentoo-user mailing list archive, but I have a question
7 > that I don't see answered anywhere.
8 >
9 > It seems to me that it must be true that sometimes, after a system
10 > upgrade done with:
11 >
12 > emerge -uD system
13 > or
14 > emerge -uD world
15 >
16 > I must reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.
17
18 I reboot if I need to install or change hardware. As far as
19 updates go, you may have to reboot after compiling a new kernel.
20
21 I think that I may have read somewhere how to change kernels
22 without rebooting, so you may not even need to reboot for any
23 software.
24
25 --
26 Phil