From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with loop-aes
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 18:45:56
1 On Tuesday, May 06, 2014 02:31:08 PM Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I'm trying to set up USB-key-encryption for use with a laptop. I'm
3 > running mdev instead of udev on the laptop, so lvm doesn't work.
4
5 I find this strange, as LVM can manage the /dev-entries directly.
6 On my systems, this is necessary as udev regularly fails to properly handle
7 these entries.
8
9 Eg. the following setting: " verify_udev_operations = 1 "
10 There are other options for udev documented in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.
11 Including one where LVM is configured to do ALL the /dev operations.
12
13 > I did
14 > manage to create /dev/mapper/control by running "dmsetup mknodes"
15 > manually, but still got error messages about being unable to initialize
16 > the encryption backend.
17
18 I believe " cryptsetup " does not use the LVM tools. But has a new device
19 created by the kernel directly, which should be picked up by a device manager
20 directly.
21
22 > Moving on to using loop-aes, I emerged sys-fs/loop-aes-3.7a and used
23 > the "loop-aes" variant commands whilst following the the only docs that
24 > I could find, namely http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README
25 > I ran into problems when trying to mount the loop device. Here's what
26 > happens (passphrase is properly entered)...
27 >
28 > [aa1][root][~] loop-aes-losetup -F /dev/loop0
29 > Password:
30 > ioctl: LOOP_MULTI_KEY_SETUP_V3: Invalid argument
31 >
32 > Anybody have any ideas?
33
34 Never used the loop-aes-losetup.
35 I do use cryptsetup (with the luksopen/close options) succesfully, but that is
36 with udev.
39 Joost