From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Can a linux vmware guest tell if its host is CPU constrained?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 04:21:25
1 On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 1:35 PM Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 01:23:46PM +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
4 > > Having performance issues on a linux vmware guest that doesnt run vmtools
5 > > because its an 'appliance', but it does allow shell access. I assume CPU
6 > > utilisation shown by top etc is the utilisation of the vCPUs. Is there
7 > any
8 > > way to discover or infer host CPU issues?
9 >
10 > Do you mean that you want to monitor the host system from the guest? Can
11 > you not
12 > just SSH into the host from the guest? You can also infer CPU usage
13 > from the
14 > /proc/stat file on the host system, if you can share files over NFS
15 > or some
16 > other file-sharing means.
19 I have ssh access (including root) to the guest but no access to the host.