From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] for the speakup users on the list
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:03:21
1 On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 11:57 AM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Speakup works in most recent kernels, 5.10.x and it is now in the
5 > mainstream kernel, but I forget what release it got in there. There
6 > are two types of synthesizers, hardware and software. Most people use
7 > software synthesizers these days, I still use a hardware synthesizer.
8 > You might need the espeakup package to make it work, or speechdup
9 > and speech-dispatcher.
10 > I am pretty sure speakup is even in the net install of gentoo.
13 John,
14 Great info. Thanks. On my Kubuntu system a simple terminal command
15
16 espeak "hello"
17
18 worked without much trouble. Initially it went to a USB device but I
19 reconfigured in pulseaudio and now hear audio. I was also able to type a
20 few sentences and it properly put some extra delay in at the periods.
21
22 This suggests (to me) that if Jude gets stuck on the Gentoo part
23 of this he could fall back to something like Kubuntu as a test of his
24 hard issues at least.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Mark