From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone with experience viewing EXIF data in Dolphin?
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 20:32:03
1 On Friday, 5 July 2019 21:22:31 BST Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 > On 05/07/2019 15:37, Andrew Lowe wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > > I'm transferring my install from a spinning disk to an SSD and
5 > > decided to tidy up/customise/stuff up things as I go. I've recently
6 > > taken a lot of photo's whilst travelling and I have the Coords in the
7 > > EXIF data. What I would like is to be able to easily view this data.
8 > > There is a thingy called "ReImage"[1] which allows for a right click
9 > > within Dolphin and you can select an option to display the EXIF data in
10 > > a dialogue box.
11
12 I recall using an earlier version of this and it is a useful and easy submenu
13 option to apply ImageMagick on a file.
16 > > I had to manually install this as I could find nothing on "Dolphin
17 > > Service Menus" within Portage, or the Gentoo wiki or basically on line
18 > > at all, so is there a Gentoo way of dealing with these in the first place?
19 >
20 > Not really. You can submit a bug or PR though as some of these do make
21 > into the tree sometimes.
22 >
23 > $ eix --homepage store.kde.org
24 >
25 > > Secondly, I then came across "kfilemetadata" in Portage. Without
26 > > installing this as well, does this give the same thing? If so, how do
27 > > you use this thing? Acutally, as I'm writing this, I'm still reserching
28 > > and api.kde.org[2] says it's a library, so what apps use it?
29 >
30 > Not the same thing.
31 >
32 > kfilemetadata is solely a library and should be pulled in by other
33 > packages that need it.
34 >
35 > You have to enable USE="semantic-desktop" to make Dolphin and others
36 > pull it in and use it.
37
38 If a GUI is not necessary and a semantic database indexing is not required,
39 you can give exiftool a spin, which can be scripted with find to search your
40 files and store them according to any exif tag.
43 Regards,
44
45 Mick