From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rescue cd for zfs 2.1 or thereabouts
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:09:43
1 On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:44:50 +0100, Michael wrote:
2
3 > > systemd-boot and refind both support everything on EFI. I am pretty
4 > > sure GRUB does too, but I have no reason to use GRUB with EFI. My
5 > > setup on this box is /boot on FAT32 and / (and everything else) on
6 > > btrfs. I've also used the same setup with ZFS.
7 >
8 > Any boot option on a UEFI MoBo requires an 'EFI System Partition'
9 > (ESP), formatted as VFAT. The UEFI firmware boot loader will
10 > list/load/run any *.efi software stored in the ESP compatible with the
11 > UEFI API, whether this is a boot loader, a kernel with an EFI stub, or
12 > some .efi diagnostic application.
13 >
14 > As long as your boot loader of choice, or kernel image and any initrd
15 > contains the requisite fs drivers, there will be no problem mounting
16 > and accessing whatever root fs needs to be accessed.
17 >
18 > GRUB contains a number of ZFS modules to do this job (zfscrypt.mod,
19 > zfsinfo.mod, zfs.mod) - not sure about the other boot managers.
20 >
21 > Typical GRUB installations have /boot/efi mounted on the ESP, with the
22 > grubx64.efi image on it, while the rest of the files, vmlinuz symlinks,
23 > etc. are on the root partition.
24 >
25 > Please beware, I have not used zfs to date, only btrfs, so the above
26 > merely reflects my understanding rather than in depth experience of the
27 > difficulty in managing such a setup.
28
29 I find it simpler to make /boot a FAT partition, then /boot/efi is the
30 ESP and all boot-related files are on the same filesystem. Like you, I
31 have only used this with btrfs (and ext4 on LVM). I do use ZFS but that
32 system is not EFI.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 Theory is when you know everything, but nothing works.
39 Reality is when everything works, but you don't know why.
40 However, usually theory and reality are mixed together :
41 Nothing works, and nobody knows why not.