From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing specific layman packages & eix-test-obsolete
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:33:43
1 >> I think what we really need is a better way
2 >> to install only certain packages from an overlay.
3 >
4 > This is against the idea of an overlay: If you want only cerain packages
5 > copy them into your local overlay and do not add the whole overlay
6 > to portage. (But you might get troubles if you do not use eclasses
7 > or other ebuilds from the overlay which might contain corresponding
8 > patches).
9
10 Surely you can see the value in finding an ebuild for a package you like
11 that isn't in portage, adding the overlay associated with that ebuild via
12 layman, somehow specifying that you only want that package from the
13 overlay, and running 'layman -S' to stay on top of version bumps. If I
14 understand your suggestion correctly, it would involve manually checking
15 for version bumps and recopying them into the local overlay. That doesn't
16 seem very Gentoo.
17
18 - Grant