From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange outbound requests
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:08:57
1 On 20 January 2012, at 18:34, Grant wrote:
2
3 > My firewall is blocking periodic outbound connections to port 3680 on
4 > a Rackspace IP. How can I find out more about what's going on? Maybe
5 > which program is generating the connection requests?
6
7 Uh, a packet sniffer?
8
9 I have an old laptop here that I have a second (cardbus) network card in. Really cheap and cheerful - the sort of thing you can pick up on freecycle. It's been a while since I've done anything like this, but you should be able to stick a box like that between the router and the rest of your network, run Wireshark and filter on that port. If the connection is encrypted then at least you'll see the originating IP.
10
11 I don't think it's relevant that the IP belongs to Rackspace - don't they just hire (virtual) servers to anyone that wants one?
12
13 Stroller.