From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eez a byootiful dai todai
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:05:24
1 On Friday 30 March 2007, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Eez
3 a byootiful dai todai':
4 > On Freitag, 30. März 2007, Dan Farrell wrote:
5 > > The neat computers in the world today deserver Linux, and let's face
6 > > it, we all deserve to be gurus on 90% of computers and not 5%.
7 >
8 > 5% is totally ok for me, if 90% marketshare means ubuntu
9 > I mean no real root (ubuntu),
10
11 This is silly, Ubuntu has just as much of a root as any other linux, it
12 just randomizes/expires the password instead of prompting you for one by
13 default. A simple 'sudo passwd' will fix let you login or su to root. Of
14 course, you might as well just use 'sudo -s'.
15
16 Personally, I use Kubuntu on my laptop and have never had a reason to
17 change root's password from the default. Even on my Gentoo desktop, I use
18 sudo (and my user password) 100x more often than su/login and the root
19 password.
20
21 The choice to not ask for root's password during installation was amde for
22 good reason. One less question makes the installation easier and faster,
23 and providing the randomized password + sudo access increases or at least
24 does not decrease security afforded by the "old" Debian way (which ends up
25 prompting for two passwords; each twice).
28 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
29 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
30 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
31 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/