From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Making a bootable USB flash drive from ISO image
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 21:24:26
1 On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 21:11:03 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > What I'm wondering is why all the blog posts, wiki pages, and HOWTOs
4 > showing either the complicated command-line procedures or
5 > dependency-heavy "USB creator" apps? (Many of them quite recent.)
6
7 There is no need for them.
8
9 > Did this work because the Xubuntu people do something special when
10 > creating the ISO image? (If so, then they have my thanks!)
11
12 They did something, but it's not particularly special. All they did was
13 run isohybrid (from syslinux) on the ISO image. It uses unused space at
14 the start of the DVD ISO specification that is normally left blank to
15 hold a partition table so the image can be copied to a USB drive and
16 appear as a partitioned disk.
17
18 I use it all the time with the Linux Format cover DVDs, not only to make
19 sure that they are USB bootable but also to ensure that any ISOs on the
20 DVD are also USB bootable.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.