From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:33:40
1 On Monday 14 January 2008, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 07:35 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > the situation will resolve that same way these things have always been
4 > > resolved, by one of these or a combination:
5 > >
6 > > a. a strong leader emerges with a vision and takes over
7 > > b. a strong leader emerges with a vision and forks
8 > > c. common sense prevails and everyone comes to their senses
9 > > d. a hidden bad egg goes away or dies and suddenly everything calms down
10 > > e. the project dies and nothing replaces it
11 >
12 > I think you just foretold the end of the universe too...
13 >
14 > [snip]
15 >
16 > > But he does have a plan, and thus far seems to be the only one
17 > > *with*a*plan*. Let's hear what he has to say and respond accordingly.
18
19 I thought that he outlined his plan in his blog and involves him being given
20 carte blanche to choose who stays, who goes and which way the Gentoo
21 Foundation moves ahead? I guess this is the reason that some of us have
22 expressed concern at this coming back (under these conditions).
23
24 > Baldrick had a plan, and look where that got him. But then he wasn't
25 > exactly the visionary leader...
26
27 Yes, but his was "a cunning plan my lord!" (for the non-UK readers, Baldrick
28 was a comedy character from a BBC series). I am not sure that a "visionary
29 leader" is required on the case of Gentoo, in its current lifecycle stage.
30 Visionary leadership is absolutely needed when overwhelming, fast change
31 needs take place. We're not talking of a start up here, or a significantly
32 diverging fork, or scrapping MS Windows and starting afresh. We have a
33 maturing product which needs some (relatively small) developmental change so
34 that it continues to improve. What we also need (I humbly suggest) is to
35 develop strategic direction of the Gentoo product(s) within a business use
36 case context. I believe that Gentoo has the potential to rival most
37 commercial Linux distros out there, but has failed so far to do so. In
38 addition, we have a breakdown of organisational governance because persons
39 with the wrong skillset were appointed in Strategic and Administrative
40 positions. It seems to me that people with the correct skillset were
41 appointed in Technical positions, and the increasing stability of Gentoo over
42 the last few years is an indication of this.
43
44 In conclusion, what we need is leadership in Strategic and Administrative
45 activities, not by default (i.e. through the current devs and trustees), but
46 through a new organisational design. Devs & the failed organisational body
47 of the trustees (or its replacement) should of course contribute in all
48 decisions made, but their voice must not be absolute and at the exclusion of
49 the user base.
50
51 > Anyway, from what it seems from Slashdot, DRobbins' blog, and f.g.o
52 > there is overwhelming user support for him to return (of course there
53 > are some users against the idea). But what about the "devs"? The
54 > support for DR seems to be less enthusiastic as you rise further up the
55 > gentoo hierarchy. But then if he is blocked at the critical trustee
56 > level, then either b. will happen, or he'll just return to the
57 > background...
58
59 I am happy to contribute to the governance and organisational design of a new
60 Gentoo setup and as James suggested put this forward to the users, devs,
61 trustees. What do you think? Is there mileage in this?
62 --
63 Regards,
64 Mick