From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] X11 traffic analyzer
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 17:06:58
1 Hi there!
2
3 Is there such a thing as a traffic/protocol analyzer for X11? I have a
4 self-written application (using the old XView toolkit), and under certain
5 circumstances some dialogs do not react. I had this 2 years ago under KDE
6 3.5, and some people now experience the same when SSH'ing from an OS X
7 machine into openSUSE or into my gentoo machine. I'd like to see what is
8 going on there.
9
10 A web search only found Xmon, but with most download links being dead,
11 even on sourceforge [1] there is nothing to download. But I finally found
12 a working download link on ubuntu.com [2]. The package does not compile,
13 but I only had to comment out one line. According to the man page, the
14 command 'xmonui | xmond' would create another X server (localhost:1), and
15 I would set the DISPLAY variable to this when starting my application.
16 xmond will use localhost:0, that is, the real X server, to display my
17 application, but it will output all X traffic. So it is sort of a proxy to
18 the real server.
19
20 Alas, it does not work, I get a 'Can't open display' error, and xmond
21 outputs 'Can't open connection to Server (ECONNREFUSED)'.
22
23 Any other ideas?
24
25 Wonko