From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FTP Server
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:11:57
1 On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 6 June 2006 17:38, JimD wrote:
4 >
5 >> Does anyone have any suggestions/preferences to a secure FTP server
6 >> for Gentoo?
7 >>
8 >> My 55+ year old father-in-law wants to start learning building
9 >> websites. I am having him install Nvu and want to setup ftp to my web
10 >> server and give him his own directory to play with.
11 >>
12 >> I have never had a need for ftp since I have always used ssh.
13 >> However, I want to make it as easy as possible for him to learn web
14 >> page design, so that is why I thought ftp would be the easiest and
15 >> most supported by tools. He uses winXP and I think Nvu can publish to
16 >> ftp. If he really gets into building websites, he wants to purchase
17 >> something like dreamweaver.
18 >>
19 >>> From my perspective, I don't want an ftp server that will allow
20 >>> someone
21 >>
22 >> to get in to my gentoo box by brute forcing a username and password.
23 >> I guess I can install something like denyhosts if the ftp server uses
24 >> tcp wrappers.
25 >>
26 >> Thanks for any guidance,
27 >
28 > What about sftp? You only need to have ssh running.
29
30 What kind of a client do you need to talk to an sftp server?
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list