From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using an old kernel .config as the basis for a new .config
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 20:16:29
1 On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > You need to copy your old .config into the new kernel source directory.
4 > "make oldconfig" then uses those values, and only asks you about new items.
5
6 It will find an existing config in /boot if you have one named using
7 the upstream naming convention (which happens if you install the
8 kernel using make install on a vanilla kernel - I'm not sure about
9 genkernel or gentoo-sources offhand).
10
11 If you have /proc/config.gz enabled then you can also do a zcat
12 /proc/config.gz > .config to extract your current config. I always
13 enable /proc/config.gz since it costs a few kb tops and comes in handy
14 anytime you're not sure what config you're running (though if you
15 built some modules after the fact it might not be entirely current).
18 Rich