From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:04:13
1 On 07/22/2011 11:13 AM, Grant wrote:
2
3 > Wouldn't a sufficiently large swap (100GB for example) completely
4 > prevent out of memory conditions and the oom-killer?
5
6 There's always someone who can pull a corner case out of his hat :)
7
8 I can't remember the details now, but there was a piece of code in
9 the virtualbox svn repository that triggered a bug in gcc. The code
10 in question caused gcc to loop forever while parsing, using more RAM
11 with every iteration.
12
13 I watched my 4 gigs of RAM slowly fill up, and then watched nervously
14 as my 4 gigs of swap began to fill up as well. After the swapping
15 started, the machine was almost unusably slow. I typed Ctrl-Z and
16 waited about five minutes until the gcc process finally suspended so
17 I could kill the compile.