From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ati or Nvida
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 01:32:41
1 Platoali wrote:
2 > Well, last night the graphic card of my laptop got broken. So I'm
3 > considering to replace it with a workstation for some graphic
4 > applications (Mainly blender and gimp.) I need 3d acceleration, and my
5 > poor laptop was rendering for hours to get my job done. So I decide to
6 > buy a workstation instead a laptop. I want to ask, which graphic cards
7 > are better supported in Linux. I know that ATI have freed or in the
8 > process of freeing their graphic cards driver. But I did not have any
9 > good memory from my previous experience with ATI. My previous card was
10 > ATI radeon 9600m and it never worked the way it had to until broken.
11 > I want to know, what is the current status of ATI drivers in Linux?
12 > Does the problems have been solved? Can they compete with Nvidia?
13 >
14 > And I want to know which one is better supported in Linux kernel
15 > regardless of how much open/free the drivers is. I'm currently
16 > thinking between Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 and Ati firegl 5600. Does
17 > anyone have any comment about them?
18
19 ATI's drivers have been buggy to the point that I avoid them 100% of the
20 time when using linux. In multiple systems, using their drivers means
21 that my system will hard hang 100% of the time when exiting xorg in any
22 way. Such as logging out, killing xorg, rebooting, etc.
23
24 Nvidias drivers are far more stable in linux, I would strongly suggest
25 going that route. I do not know the specifics of those cards, sorry.
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list