From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] running e2fsck pre-mount
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 07:04:32
1 On Wednesday 09 September 2009 04:37:49 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > On an Asus netbook during boot after the line
5 >
6 > *checking all filesystems
7 >
8 > there'll be a message something like 'filesystem mounted 36 times
9 > without being checked. Check forced' then something like '17.1%
10 > non-contiguous' then a long delay. Then one of two things, either a
11 > message saying 'errors fixed' or a forced reboot.
12 >
13 > What does it mean 'without being checked' Does the boot process expect
14 > a filesystem check, in this case e2fsck? Why should their be errors. I
15 > shut the machine like this '#shutdown -h(or -r) now' Everything is
16 > unmounted and the machine turns off without a glitch that I''m aware
17 > of.
18 >
19 > How can I run e2fsck on the drives *before* they are mounted, if that
20 > is what is required here?
21
22 It's a feature of ext2. It doesn't have much in the way of internal checks
23 when being used to make sure that it's structure is consistent, so the default
24 setting is to force a full fsck after every X mounts or after every Y days,
25 which ever comes first.
26
27 You do not want to disable it. It is your safety net and the expected
28 behaviour. It is working correctly as the fs is being checked before it is
29 mounted.
30
31 Read the various man pages related to ext2 for more info.
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com