From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB permissions glitch
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:18:10
1 On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:10:00 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > >> in /etc/fstab I have : '/dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb auto
4 > >> noauto,user,umask=000 0 0' (I never use > 1 USB device at a time,
5 > >> so this is ok).
6 >
7 > > You can include the mountoption uid= gid= .
8 >
9 > According to 'man mount', they are not available for 'ext2' (only
10 > 'fat'). I reformat USB sticks to a Linux fs, as 'fat' seems to reduce
11 > capacity.
12
13 You didn't mention that before, it was reasonable to assume that you were
14 using FAT because you have a umask option in fstab, which also does not
15 apply to ext2.
16
17 Are you setting the permissions of the mount point with the device
18 mounted or unmounted? When the device is mounted,the mount point assumes
19 the ownership and permissions of the root of the device's filesystem. You
20 need to chmod/chown it with the stick mounted.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 On the other hand, you have different fingers.