From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] java java everywhere
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:08:56
1 Am 11.11.2011 11:16, schrieb Willie Wong:
2 > On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:01:56PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >>> (i) What is icedtea-web?
4 >>
5 >> If you had actually clicked on the homepage link in the emerge -s
6 >> output you posted, you would have seen in the very first bullet point
7 >> right at the start of the page that icedtea-web is mostly Java Web Start
8 >
9 > The problem is: that doesn't help me at all. What the heck is Web
10 > Start? The corporate-lese at
11 > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/index-jsp-136112.html
12 > doesn't really tell me why or whether I need it.
15 It is the applet launcher you mentioned further down in your email. It
16 also allows starting standalone applications straight from the web.
17 There is a difference between these two capabilities but I think they
18 are now served by the same plugin.
19
20 >>> (iv) Do I really need to have so many different java things on my
21 >>> computer?
22 >>
23 [...]
24 >> So, if you want Java as implemented by iced-tea, pick between source
25 >> and -bin. If you want JWS, then emerge that too.
26 >>
27 >> Did you even attempt to google this and find answers yourself?
28 >
29 > Did you read my question? The problem is not that so many JDKs are
30 > available. The problem is "why does portage want to install them all"?
31 > (Scroll up to the top of my message and see the emerge --update output
32 > which wants to SLOT all three of icedtea, icedtea-bin, icedtea-web.)
33 >
34 > So cut the snark, Alan. To spell out the question for you more
35 > clearly:
36 >
37 > Why does portage want to install ALL three kinds of icedteas,
38 > when all I really need is a JRE? Is there some subtle differences
39 > between the three such that I must have all three available? Is the
40 > 6->7 major version update one which they significantly changed the API
41 > so things start breaking left and right?
44 Yes, there are new features and APIs available with java 1.7 but I doubt
45 any applications in the stable portage tree already use these. Otherwise
46 it should be backwards compatible.
47
48 Since 1.7 is pretty new I guess there are still many packages explicitly
49 requiring virtual/jdk:6 just because the devs haven't yet tested the
50 transition. On the other hand, some packages will just require
51 virtual/jdk and therefore trigger portage to install the newer slot.
52
53 > <rant>
54 [...]
55 > What I don't
56 > know (as I admitted so much in the first sentence of my original post)
57 > is Java. I don't code in it. I don't (to the best of my knowledge)
58 > have any packages installed via portage that has code written in Java.
59 > All I need is a JRE to look at some applets on the internet and run a
60 > couple pre-compiled Java applications on my desktop. It may be that I
61 > somehow acquired a need for a JDK and I forgot, I don't know, but why
62 > is it that portage wants to installed two JDKS and on top of that some
63 > web-based JRE at the same time?
64 > </rant>
65 >
66 > W
67
68 To find out why portage wants the JDK, run `emerge -pv --depclean
69 virtual/jdk`. Repeat until you find @world or something looking familiar.
70
71 I bet you have LibreOffice installed with USE="java". There is an old
72 thread from earlier this year which describes what functionality you
73 loose when you deactivate that flag. All things considered, though, I
74 think it will be faster to install a JDK than to re-emerge LibreOffice
75 with USE="-java".
76
77 Regards,
78 Florian Philipp