From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] microcode applied?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 01:28:10
1 On Monday, 8 January 2018 09:05:02 GMT Max Zettlmeißl wrote:
2 > It seems like there are no microcode updates for your specific CPU
3 > bundled in linux-firmware.
4
5 Only two out of three Intel boxen here report an early update of microcode in
6 dmesg. Even when they do, it is not certain the latest firmware has brought
7 new code:
8
9 [ 0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x7, date =
10 2013-08-20
11
12 This date above puzzles me. Is it that on this PC's CPU the Intel bugs cannot
13 be ameliorated by the latest intel-ucode release, or is it that Intel have not
14 bothered to release microcode revisions for all their products.
15
16 Running in the directory /lib/firmware/intel-ucode the following command:
17
18 iucode_tool -v --date-after=2017-01-01 --write-all-named-to=TEST .
19
20 spews out into TEST/ the microcode for this CPU:
21
22 s000106E5_m00000013_r00000007.fw
23
24 Therefore if microcode for my CPU was included in intel-ucode releases since
25 2017-01-01, is this the same unchanged microcode being released since the date
26 reported in dmesg of 2013-08-20?
29 Regards,
30 Mick