From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] who needs Java ?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:52:18
1 On Monday 15 Aug 2011 12:21:13 Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
2 > On 08/15/2011 04:47 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > I looked at updating to the latest Libreoffice 3.4.2.3
4 > > & found it wants to install a long list of deps,
5 > > many of which seem to be caused by my 'java' USE flag.
6 > > As a result, I checked my home-made list of installed pkgs
7 > > to see which were part of Java & why they seemed to be needed.
8 > > Not a few proved to be unnecessary today,
9 > > but the rest depend on 4 underlying pkgs,
10 > > ie Libreoffice Cups Libidn (for KDE 3 , which I want) Db (for
11 > > Libreoffice).
12 > >
13 > > If I remove 'java' from make.conf ,
14 > > which features will I lose in LO Cups KDE3 ?
15 > > Is there anything else I've overlooked ?
16 >
17 > You'll lose the ability to run java applets, commonly found on the web
18 > for many critical things.
19
20 Unless you care to explain what you define as a web "critical" thing, I will
21 continue to run my boxen without Java - just as I have been doing for at least
22 8 years so far ... ;-)
23 --
24 Regards,
25 Mick