From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2006.1 liveCD
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 00:08:07
1 On 7/31/06, kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 >
4 > > Releases are not very important for Gentoo, if you have a live
5 > > internet connection (which is not REQUIRED, but will make your system
6 > > a lot more useful with Gentoo) after the whole process you'll get the
7 > > latest Gentoo anyway.
10 > I think the idea is to skip the five hour gcc/glibc update by starting
11 > from newer binaries in a hypothetical 2006.1 stage3.
12 >
13 > kashani
14
15 Hi,
16 I got stuck in that gcc upgrade problem this last week and
17 unfortunately couldn't make the upgrade work. After gcc-3.4.6 was
18 supposedly upgraded I started running into packages that didn't
19 rebuild correctly even though I *thought* I had followed the gcc
20 upgrade wiki faithfully. In the end I gave up and rubuilt the machine
21 from scratch. Probably took me longer but now it's working well.
22
23 So beyond 5 hours, it's the confidence starting out that when you
24 get done it's going to be successful. This experience tested my faith
25 a bit.
26
27 - Mark
28 --