From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Red jack and white jack on a pair of headphones
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:43:32
1 Hello, Joshua.
2
3 On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 13:44:40 -0400, Poison BL. wrote:
4 > On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 1:35 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > Hello, Gentoo.
7
8 > > I've recently found a pair of headphones with a microphone. I've no idea
9 > > where it came from, but I'd like to try it out. I've got no manual for
10 > > it. I'm not even sure it's functional.
11
12 > > It has a red (stereo) 3.5mm jack plug and a white (stereo) 3.5mm jack
13 > > plug. I'm assuming that one of these is for the headphones and the other
14 > > for the microphone, and that they plug into the pale green and pink jack
15 > > sockets on my PC.
16
17 > > But which is which? I don't want to destoy anything by connecting them
18 > > the wrong way around.
19
20 > > Help would be appreciated.
21
22 > > Thanks!
23
24 > > --
25 > > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
28 > It shouldn't damage anything to get it backwards. It's *very* likely
29 > that one of those is mono, not stereo, on the plug, which is the quick
30 > way to find the microphone at a glance, though (unless they were just
31 > too cheap to manage 2 styles of plug in manufacturing)
32
33 Thanks for the tip! It turns out the white plug is for the earphones,
34 and the red one for the microphone. And yes, they were too cheap to use
35 two styles of plugs.
36
37 The tone quality is not all that high. Still, better to try it out
38 before throwing it away.
39
40 > --
41 > Poison [BLX]