From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ImageMagick-7 security
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:10:46
1 On Thursday, 23 August 2018 09:06:12 BST Mick wrote:
2 > I noticed this enotice in imagemagick:
3 >
4 > * For security reasons, a policy.xml file was installed in
5 > /etc/ImageMagick-7 * which will prevent the usage of the following coders
6 > by default: *
7 > * - PS
8 > * - EPS
9 > * - PDF
10 > * - XPS
11 >
12 > Excuse my ignorance, but I am not sure why the above PS related files are
13 > disabled. What is the security threat exactly? JavaScript contents which
14 > may be executed by ImageMagick?
15
16 My google-fu is rusty this morn - I found this explanation[1]:
17
18 "ImageMagick allows to process files with external libraries. This feature is
19 called 'delegate'. It is implemented as a system() with command string
20 ('command') from the config file delegates.xml with actual value for different
21 params (input/output filenames etc). Due to insufficient %M param filtering it
22 is possible to conduct shell command injection."
23
24 So, remote code execution is one such vulnerability.
25
26 [1] https://imagetragick.com/
29 Regards,
30 Mick