From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 23:03:52
1 On Wed, 30 May 2012 02:11:54 -0700
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> > You can get away with almost anything except these two things:
5 > >> >
6 > >> > Do not micro-manage
7 > >> > Do not tell them how to do what they do
8 > >>
9 > >> Could you give me an example of this last one?
10 > >
11 > > - I see you are using Perl with hashrefs to do function xyz. Have
12 > > you considered (i.e. I would like you to) using
13 > > $INSERT_SOMETHING_HERE?
14 >
15 > So if I see a way that their coding could be improved (faster
16 > execution, greater legibility, etc) I just keep quiet about it?
17 >
18 > > - Wanting to personally review the code often. I've seen some
19 > > managers want to do this daily.
20 >
21 > How often should I read their code? I was planning on reading it a
22 > lot.
25 Perhaps I was too literal. Those examples should be read in the context
26 of obsessively fiddling with someone else's work. Alternatively, doing
27 those examples and not producing anything worthwhile from doing it.
28
29 Code reviews and suggestions are valuable, but there's a time and a
30 place and a forum for them. All productive teams eventually reserve a
31 time slot for review and demos of running code. You and the entire team
32 can and should discuss optimizations then.
33
34 Let me put it another way - you likely don't like it if someone else
35 fiddles with your work while you are trying to do it, or gives
36 "helpful suggestions" while you are trying to concentrate. All I'm
37 saying is to avoid doing that to others. Good old common sense will
38 tell you when this is happening - you already know how to do it, no
39 need to analyze the thing any further than that
42 Alan McKinnnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com