From: Tim Igoe <tim@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] squid-cache for an internet-cafe
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:34:42
1 Gentoo Shadow wrote:
2 > dear friends,
3 >
4 > i have a small Internet cafe in my home town. so it powered by a 128Kbps
5 > leased line. but its speed is vary from time to time. so i decide to
6 > deploy a squid-cache server. i already have a spare p3 800Mhz,256MB
7 > SD-RAM,40GB 7200rpm hdd machine. so
8 >
9 > 1) is this configurations enough for my deployment? if not pls advice me
10 > to implement a good cache server.
11
12 Yes, this type of machine is easily enough to run a small squid cache on.
13 >
14 > 2) is it possible to take an advantage by deploying a squid-cache server
15 > for an Internet cafe?
16 Yes it, especially as quite a few users will probably using hte same
17 sites, thus it will certainly save you re-downloading the images for
18 each machine
19 (things like hotmail etc will be commonly used)
20
21 It will save some of the connection, but might not be overly visible
22
23 Use something like squid-graph and check the cache hit rates etc :)
26 > note: all advices are welcome... im less experience with squid-cache
27 > servers. so pls help me.
28
29 A default install of squid should be enough to work, then you can adjust
30 the settings to meet your needs - the conf is very well commented :)
33 hth
36 > --
37 > ...
38 > "The future lies ahead."
39 > _______________________
40 > < Have you mooed today? >
41 > -----------------------
42 > \ ^__^
43 > \ (oo) \_______
44 > (__) \ )\/\
47 >
48 > Gentoo Linux 2.6.13-gentoo-r2
51 Tim Igoe
52 tim@×××××××.uk
53 http://tim.igoe.me.uk - Personal Site
54 http://tv.igoe.me.uk - UK TV Guide
55
56 "Computers are like Air-con, open windows and they stop working!"