From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 03:20:48
1 On 03/09/2014 04:39 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 08.03.2014 02:57, schrieb Andrew Lowe:
3 >> On 8/03/2014 9:01 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> Am 08.03.2014 01:54, schrieb Andrew Lowe:
5 >>>> Hi all, I'm doing some research on the topic of LiveCD's and was
6 >>>> after any input the list may have.
7 >> [snip]
8 >> ...
9 >> ...
10 >> ...
11 >> [snip]
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Andrew
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>> systemrescuecd?
19 >>>
20 >> "Too complicated". What I mean by this is that the user upon
21 >> booting has options!!! Do you kick into a graphical environment, do
22 >> you copy everything to memory, do you..... you get the idea. The
23 >> problem is that these are first year students in a common first year,
24 >> they have not yet decided upon their stream, could be Civil, Chem,
25 >> Mech etc and don't see any benefit in doing programming but have to
26 >> pass the subject.
27 >>
28 >> My "requirement" is that it boots into a GUI, preferably straight
29 >> into the environment, no username/password, has dhcp, a decent editor,
30 >> a browser and gcc or clang.
31 >>
32 >> Andrew
33 >>
34 >> .
37 > they are students. They should have brains and at least average
38 > intelligence. 'choose option two from the boot menu' should not overcook
39 > their neurons.
40 >
41 Volker,
42 Whilst I totally agree with your sentiment, it's obvious you've not
43 taught any 1st year, Australian, Uni students lately. After 10 minutes
44 of explaining mv and cp, "You have a source, that's the first parameter,
45 and a destination, that's the second parameter....", they still manage
46 to get it wrong, usually because someone updated something on Facebook 3
47 minutes into the explanation, and they got distracted by it.......
48
49 Yes, I do feel old.....
50
51 Andrew