From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: alecks.g@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x32 ABI
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:57:56
1 On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:40:50 -0500
2 Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > After a recent update to binutils 2.22 I started to look into the x32
5 > ABI support. It looks very interesting and I am thinking about
6 > installing it via the experimental stage3[1], but I have some
7 > questions to ask first.
8 >
9 > What are the benefits and drawbacks of using the x32 ABI, other than
10 > the obvious "experimental" cautions? I currently do not have a
11 > computer with more than 4GB of ram, and one only has 2GB (used as a
12 > media center).
13 >
14 > How do I go about installing an x32 ABI system? Is it as simple as
15 > using the x32 stage3 and enabling CONFIG_X86_X32 in the kernel, or is
16 > there more to it? How would I convert a running system to the x32
17 > ABI, if possible?
18
19 Your first step should be to read flameeye's blog on the matter,
20 then decide. It's nowhere near at awesome as Intel makes out.
21
22 You can find the blog on the front page of gentoo.org under the name
23 Diego
27 > Alecks
28 >
29 > [1] http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/amd64/x32/