From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What can I use for a compressed file system?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:39:20
1 When I read the docs, squasfs is read only, and you need at least the
2 uncompressed space to create the image ... not useful here.
3
4 BillK
7 On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 05:17 -0400, ted leslie wrote:
8 >
9 > since you are not looking at writing to this fs,
10 > then you can use cloop or squashfs
11 >
12 > for example, gentoo uses squashfs for its live cd/dvd
13 >
14 > squashfs is considered better, but both are in use on live cd/dvd,
15 > cloop was (At least partially) written by the knoppix dude.
16 >
17 > typically you get 2.5:1 compression with these over a general linux distro file average.
18 >
19 > either one will put all files starting at a root path into the compressed structure.
20 > The only real difference between doing it cloop/squashfs and tar.*z
21 > is that cloop/squashfs can be directly accessed (once mounted),
22 > which might be of some use.
23 >
24 > big negative (unless fixed in recent releases) is you need enough ram/VM to hold the entire
25 > fs (to be compressed) in memory. So if you have 512MB ram and a 1GB VM allocation,
26 > the biggest fs you can archive using cloop/squashfs would be 2.5GB (approx), that compresses down to
27 > the 1GB to fit into your VM.
28 >
29 > pretty recent cloop souce is at knoppix web site,
30 > squashfs, IIRC is at kernel.org
31 > squashfs would also be available in gentoo, as gentoo uses it in their live cd.
32 >
33 > -tl
34 >
35 > On Fri, 12 May 2006 02:47:56 -0500