From: Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] fd symlinks to pts?
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:39:28
1 I recently had occasion to need a floppy drive. Thankfully, there was
2 one in my Gentoo box, but no support in the kernel. I added
3 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=y to .config and already had support for my IDE
4 chipset included, rebuilt my kernel, and rebooted.
5
6 Now I have a folder /dev/fd/, but every entry there (0, 1, 2, and 255)
7 are all symlinks to /dev/pts/0. Relevant command outputs:
8
9 # dmesg|grep -i floppy
10 ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
11
12 # uname -r
13 2.6.22-gentoo-r2
14
15 # cd /dev/fd; ls -al
16 total 0
17 dr-x------ 2 root root 0 Jun 3 02:32 .
18 dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Jun 3 02:32 ..
19 lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun 3 02:32 0 -> /dev/pts/0
20 lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun 3 02:32 1 -> /dev/pts/0
21 lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun 3 02:32 2 -> /dev/pts/0
22 lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun 3 02:32 255 -> /dev/pts/0
23
24 # ls -al /dev/fd
25 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jun 2 20:35 /dev/fd -> /proc/self/fd
26
27 What do I need to do to get usable block access to my floppy from
28 something in /dev/fd?
29
30 -Tim
31 --