From: Les Henderson <ljhender@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem emerging mplayer
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:57:25
1 On 10/25/06, PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Juan Miguel Perez wrote:
3 > > try to unmerge the package and later compilit again
4 > > emerge -C mplayer
5 >
6 > I'd advise against this. The problem is clearly with the download, so
7 > why go without a perfectly good program for a while since there's
8 > nothing the currently installed version could do to cause this. Either
9 > the ebuild is screwed (wrong file size/digest/location), or the distfile
10 > is wrong.
11 >
12 Well, actually my install of mplayer is currently screwed anyways
13 since I already got rid of xmms, which mplayer was built against. (I
14 really wish that if the dev's knew that xmms was dying that perhaps
15 they would have strongly recommend against people using the xmms USE
16 flags. Not being on the dev lists, I had no idea.) Perhaps I'll
17 unmask xmms and temporarily install it again.
18
19 > Am the only one who has been seeing this rather frequently lately. It
20 > used to be that I'd never see anything like this a year ago. A couple
21 > months ago was my first experience with this kind of issue, and now I'm
22 > seeing it a few times a month to twice in one night. I do not redigest
23 > due to the security concerns, so it's getting real annoying having to
24 > "--skipfirst" on up to the three Gentoo machines I run, then wait 1 to 3
25 > days for things to get fixed. This is especially true when it's an
26 > ebuild not installed on my headless server/local rsync mirror. In those
27 > cases I have to rsync the mirror, then the "problem" system to see if
28 > the issue has been resolved.
29 >
30 > Most of these cases don't generate a thread in the newsgroup, and the
31 > qt issue above is the first time I've found a bug filed about it.
32 >
33 > I don't want to sound like I'm ranting, but the issue seems to be
34 > getting worse, and has security implications. At this point even I'm
35 > tempted to just redigest as soon as I see this, especially if it's a new
36 > install of the program that I want to try out. I know there are a whole
37 > lot of people out there who either don't care about redigesting, or
38 > worse, don't know it's a really bad idea. All it takes is one incident
39 > where a distfile gets replaced and we end up with good number of owned
40 > boxes out there.
41 >
42 This is the first that I've seen this in a while, and yes it is a pain
43 and I agree about the security concerns.
46 Les Henderson
47 ljhender@×××××.com
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list