From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] selecting OS in Grub [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:37:21
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:50:04 +0100
3 > Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de> wrote:
6 >> I'd call this luck ;)
7 >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector
8 >> See "Potential Damage"
9 >>
10 >> Regards,
11 >> Michael
14 > maybe not luck...
15 >
16 >> Hot swapping PS/2 devices usually does not cause damage due to the fact
17 >> that more modern microcontrollers tend to have more robust I/O lines
18 >> built into them which are harder to damage, however, hot swapping can
19 >> still potentially cause damage.
22 > the ps/2 protocol has been around forever. But good reference, and an
23 > intersting read, and a much needed response to my unsubstantiated
24 > claims. thanks ; )
25 >
26 > -- dan
29 I have to add this, I have seen people do this and it caused damage to
30 the controller chip. Even after rebooting everything would work fine
31 except the keyboard or mouse port that was swapped. I have had this to
32 happen to me twice. The first time I learned not to do it, the second
33 time the cable snagged and got unplugged by accident. I hated to throw
34 that mobo away so I made a server out of it and use ssh now. ;-)
35
36 You may have been lucky so far but I would be more careful if you like
37 the mobo you have. Better safe than sorry.
38
39 Dale
40
44 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967