From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Switching to Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:46:02
1 >> eix <package>
2 > epm -ql
3
4 Where are these trick tools found?
5
6 Maybe I'm way out of date but here is what I'd use:
7
8 First (equery is part of app-portage/gentoolkit)
9 (Go thru the man page of course)
10 It has many of the same functions you may have used with rpm.
11
12 o See list of all *installed* software.
13 equery list
14
15 Browse available software that can be installed.
16 (esearch is found in app-portage/esearch)
17 esearch REGEX to find stuff on you current portage tree.
18 someone already posted the packages page for stuff
19 that may not be on your tree yet.
20
21 o See what version of a particular software package is installed.
22
23 equery list <pkg>
24
25 I also use a sometimes quicker way:
26 esearch <pkg> or REGEX since esearch output also shows what is
27 installed and what is not.
28
29 o See if any new versions of *installed* software are available.
30
31 This would involve synching your portage tree which have much more
32 repercussions than you want so use the URL posted for packages.
33
34 Here is another you will use a lot. It works like:
35 rpm -f /path/file
36
37 equery belongs /path/file
38
39 A quick way to find out what package contains a binary tool you
40 already have installed.
41
42 (an easy one)
43 # equery belongs `which dd`
44
45 [ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/dd in *... ]
46 sys-apps/coreutils-5.94-r1 (/usr/bin/dd -> /bin/dd)
47
48 That gives you the address of the package this tool resides in on the
49 portage tree (/usr/portage/ is dropped off the front end)
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list