From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] r8169 unable to apply firmware patch
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:50:32
1 > IIRC
2 > 'ifconfig -a' will show interfaces that are physically present, and
3 > the driver available.
4 > 'ifconfig' will only show those interfaces that are also activated or
5 > "up", which means configured up - nothing to do with link.
6
7 OK, with net.eth0 stopped and the cable unplugged, eth0 does appear
8 under ifconfig -a and not under ifconfig on my desktop. It sounds
9 like this is normal behavior so the question becomes why does eth0
10 appear under ifconfig on my laptop with net.eth0 stopped and the cable
11 unplugged?
12
13 I thought it could be wicd on my laptop but I shut down the daemon
14 with no change.
15
16 - Grant