From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hw problems
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:53:55
1 On Monday, 22 July 2019 11:29:26 BST Raffaele Belardi wrote:
2 > Adam Carter wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:47 PM <pat@××××××××.org
4 <mailto:pat@××××××××.org>> wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > Since last week my gentoo installation start to randomly freeze. The
8 > > first I've detected was during huge disk usage, another was during
9 > > hibernation, etc. I think it might be related to HDD problems, but I
10 > > want to be sure. In kernel log there are some errors, but I'm not able
11 > > to decide if those causes the freezing or not (I've saw such messages
12 > > earlier too, so I'm not sure). So, is there a good diagnostic tool to
13 > > check HW and mainly HDD? What I need to decide is if buying new HDD
14 > > will
15 > > fix the issue or not
16 > >
17 > > Install smartmontools then
18 > >
19 > > # smartctl -a /dev/sda
20 >
21 > I think Adam answered the OP but I just wanted to understand the kernel log:
22 >
23 > - the errors are from device pcieport 0000:00:1c.0
24 > - according to "pci 0000:00:1c.0: [8086:9d14] type 01 class 0x060400", this
25 > is should be a PCI bridge.
26 >
27 > So the error may come from the bridge itself or from a device attached to
28 > the bridge, I suppose?
29
30 I think device [8086:9d14] which errors out is a wireless card ... ?
33 > - the disk is attached to ata1: "ata1.00: ATA-10: ST2000LM015-2E8174, SDM1,
34 > max UDMA/133" - ata1 is "ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xd1133000 port
35 > 0xd1133100 irq 122"
36 >
37 > Is there a way to understand where the ata1 is physically attached to?
38 > In other words, can one tell from the log if the error comes from the ata1
39 > device or something else?
40 >
41 > thanks,
42 >
43 > raffaele
44
45 lspci will show the PCI port, but I think the error looks like it is related
46 to the wireless card, which is also bouncing like mad. I'd check the correct
47 driver is available and the firmware too, especially if it needs to be
48 configured manually (not all are available in linux-firmware).
51 Regards,
52
53 Mick