From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:55:43
1 On Friday 19 November 2010 14:42:23 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:52:50 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > Also primary partitions which he does not seem to be using at all
4 > > have a slight edge over logical.
5 >
6 > Do you have any data on this? I generally use all logical partitions
7 > but could be persuaded to rethink.
8
9 Well there must be one level of indirection on first access, since the
10 start of the logical partition has to be looked up in a "primary"
11 partition, but I can't imagine that being needed more than once per
12 reboot.
13
14 FWIW I use primaries for /boot, primary swap and (often) / but can't for
15 anything else. I do this to obtain more accessible partitions because I
16 used to try to cram several distros into one box.
19 Rgds
20 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.