From: Juho Rosqvist <juho.rosqvist@×××××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mutt and CC%CC$CC6 characters
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:31:44
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 06:31:34 +0100, Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Juho Rosqvist <juho.rosqvist@×××××.fi> writes:
3 >
4 > > Now, the subject _should_ read:
5 > > Mutt and ÅåÄäÖö characters
6 > [snip]
7 > > I'm really at a loss as to what causes this problem, or how to fix it.
8 > > Help would be appreciated.
9 >
10 > The problem is that if mail headers (especially to, from and subject)
11 > contain non US-Ascii characters (as your email does), then the mail
12 > program is supposed to use the mechanism described in RFC2047. Your
13 > emailer is not doing this, but is sending the 'raw' Scandinavian
14 > characters. As to how to fix it, I am sorry but I cannot be of any
15 > help.
16
17 Thanks for the info on RFC2047. However, I'd like to believe that this is
18 not the cause of the problem. I may not have stressed enough the first
19 time, that the problematic characters are garbled to what you see in the
20 subject line _as I type them_. So I see the subject in its 'final form'
21 immediately. Also, when I reply to a mail containing ä, ö et al in the
22 subject, and do not erase those characters, they get sent away just
23 fine.
24
25 So I'm thinking this is an input problem of mutt -- actually, I just
26 noticed that it is present in each and every input request mutt makes.
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list