From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LVM2 problem, meta data format change?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 12:25:40
1 Recently I found that new kernels were not booting for me, because they could
2 not assemble the LVM partition that I use for the root filesystem.
3
4 Booting back to my old kernel still worked.
5
6 I have tracked this back to the lvm2 version.
7
8 After booting with the old kernel, I ran lvm and tried the 'fullreport'
9 command.
10
11 sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.184-r3 gives an error:
12
13 lvm> fullreport
14 LV root invalid: visible raid meta LV for raid1 segment
15 LV root invalid: visible raid meta LV for raid1 segment
16 Internal error: LV segments corrupted in root.
19 After backing out to an earlier version, sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.183
20 the 'fullreport' actually gives a report.
21
22 I'm assuming the only reason the old kernel boots is that it has the older lvm
23 in the initramfs, and once assembled the handover to the live system still
24 works.
25
26 I can't find anything online that looks like the same thing to me, so I was
27 wondering if anyone here had encountered a similar problem?
28
29 The next step is to try and find how to update the on-disk lvm meta data so the
30 later versions understand it, hopefully without having to rebuild my system
31 from scratch.
35 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
36 Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
37 http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro