From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 06:24:39
1 lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Monday 01 May 2006 10:50 pm, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >> lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
4 >> > On Sunday 30 April 2006 08:47 am, Alexander Skwar wrote:
5 >> >> wu chuanwen wrote:
6 >> >> > 2006/4/30, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name
7 >> > that is (AFAIK) just a layer below TCP/IP.
8 >>
9 >> Wrong. Besides: "just a layer below TCP/IP" makes no sense.
10 >> TCP/IP is a protocol family. Two of those members are IPv4
11 >> and IPv6. Now, what's "just a layer below TCP/IP" supposed
12 >> to mean?
13 >
14 > I didn't know.
15
16 Aha. If you don't know, why are you then making suggestions?
17
18 > I'm not a network programmer.
19
20 Me neither. And there's no need to be one.
21
22 >> > I wouldn't
23 >> > remove it if I were you.
24 >>
25 >> Why not? Why leave in things, which are not needed and which
26 >> are known to possibly cause problems?
27 >
28 > For me the "Why not?" is the part that I can't answer. I don't know what it
29 > does, therefore I don't mess around with it.
30
31 And because of that, you're contradicting?
32
33 > Furthermore, I have never heard of it causing problems.
34
35 Well, you don't read much, do you?
36
37 >> >> Try a blank Firefox profile. To create one, run "firefox
38 >> >> -ProfileManager".
39 >> >
40 >> > I don't see how that would help anything.
41 >>
42 >> It would help, if the problem is on his side, caused by bad
43 >> settings in his profile. If everything's faster with a blank
44 >> profile, he knows for sure, that the problems were caused
45 >> by his old profile.
46 >
47 > I've never *ever* heard of a profile being corrupted.
48
49 Okay, you actually do not read much. I'm rather active in the
50 german Mozilla newsgroups, and the far majority of problems is
51 caused by profile issues.
52
53 But why are you saying: "I don't see how that would help anything."?
54
55 > I'd be very surprised
56 > if that's the case.
57
58 I wouldn't be.
59
60 > Nonetheless, it is a good idea,
61
62 Yep.
63
64 > if a bit debatable
65
66 No, not at all. It's the first step. If something's broken, reset it
67 to a known good state. And that's what a blank profile is.
68
69 Alexander Skwar
70 --
71 If your bread is stale, make toast.