From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 13:49:31
1 On 26/04/2015 10:17, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:35:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> <x11-libs/libXfont-1.5.0 required by
5 >> (x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.4-r4:0/1.12.4::gentoo, installed)
6 >>
7 >> This means that you have xorg-server-1.12.4-r4 installed which depends
8 >> on libXfont with this limitation: <x11-libs/libXfont-1.5.0
9 >>
10 >> You only get that sort of emerge output when portage is forced to
11 >> install a package that is NOT latest due to some other package having a
12 >> constraint on it dependencies. Look at eix for libXfont, there's a
13 >> version 1.5.1 available but portage can't use it because of limitations
14 >> from your current version of xorg-server.
15 >>
16 >> The same process applies to fontsproto as well.
17 >>
18 >> There is nothing for you to do with this output, it is informational
19 >> (but not labelled as such so you can see it). Maybe run emerge without
20 >> -v, see if that removes the output
21 >
22 > Running without -v doesn't help. I almost never use -v with emerge, it's
23 > output is verbose enough as it is and burying useful messages in even
24 > more trivial, not-for-users output makes decoding it even harder.
25 >
26 > emerge really needs an option to hide such "informational" messages.
29 I disagree. emerge really needs to have it's output redesigned from
30 scratch. Right now it arrives at the conclusion (the top) and dumps it's
31 data tree bottom-up, apparently stopping halfway and never getting to
32 output what the top is.
33
34 It needs to print it's output top-down instead. Yeah gods, this is such
35 a basic output design principle that I keep stating so I start to wonder
36 if maybe I'm crazy after all....
37
38 Top-down output lets you easily add more and more output depending on
39 the number of -v in the arguments! So much software out there does with
40 apparent ease, I can't figure why the portage devs persist with the
41 current obtuse method. Especially as portage HAS TO HAVE all necessary
42 information available at the time
46 > Even
47 > if they really were informative, that are not necessary to maintaining a
48 > functioning system. When I tell portage to update my system to the latest
49 > suitable versions of everything, I have no need to be told "there is a
50 > later version for libfoo, but you can't have it". I just want the latest
51 > I can have.
52 >
53 > It doesn't help that these warning messages have a superficial
54 > resemblance to blocker errors.
55 >
56 > emerge --just-tell-me-when-something-is-wrong @world please.
62 Alan McKinnon