From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SegFault while compiling gcc 4.1.1
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:04:04
1 On Thursday 30 November 2006 09:02, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Thursday 30 November 2006 07:56, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
3 > > Let's take a poll.
4 > >
5 > > 1. Have you seen this error message in an emerge?
6 >
7 > Yes, several times.
8
9 Ditto.
10
11 > > 2. Have you subsequently identified a hardware problem, fixed the
12 > > hardware problem, and have not seen the message since?
13 >
14 > Yes. 99% of the times it was bad RAM (verified with memtest86).
15 > Of course, for trivial emerges a subsequent emerge completed fine, but
16 > the first failure put me on the alert.
17
18 Yes, it was a bad/incompatible RAM module for the particular memory
19 controller. memetest86 did not identify it, I found out by trial and error!
20 The symptom was random crashes (mostly) during emerge which would complete
21 fine after a hard reboot. The crashes would invariably happen either when
22 the memory controller was switching onto the next memory module, or when both
23 modules were used up and it started using swap.
24
25 > > 3. Have you re-run the emerge and not seen the message in a while
26 > > (please indicate how long "a while" is.)
27 >
28 > For me, "a while" is "since fixing the hardware problem".
29
30 Ditto, i.e. about 18 months so far.
31
32 HTH.