From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 21:56:02
1 Am Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 11:36:36AM +0800 schrieb William Kenworthy:
2
3 > >> Its not raid, just a btrfs single on disk (no partition).  Contains a
4 > >> single borgbackup repo for an offline backup of all the online
5 > >> borgbackup repo's I have for a 3 times a day backup rota of individual
6 > >> machines/data stores
7 > > So you are borg’ing a repo into a repo? I am planning on simply rsync’ing
8 > > the borg directory from one external HDD to another. Hopefully SMR can cope
9 > > with this adequatly.
10 > >
11 > > And you are storing several machines into a single repo? The docs say this
12 > > is not supported officially. But I have one repo each for /, /home and data
13 > > for both my PC and laptop. Using a wrapper script, I create snapshots that
14 > > are named $HOSTNAME_$DATE in each repo.
15 >
16 > Basicly yes: I use a once per hour snapshot of approximately 500Gib of
17 > data on moosefs, plus borgbackups 3 times a day to individual repos on
18 > moosefs for each host.
19
20 So you have:
21 Host A ──[hourly]──> Online-Borg A ─┐
22 ├──[3/day]──> Offline-Borg
23 Host B ──[hourly]──> Online-Borg B ─┘
24 ?
25
26 > 3 times a day, the latest snapshot is stuffed into a borg repo on moosefs
27 > and the old  snapshots are deleted.
28
29 How do you stuff just the latest snapshot of a repo into another repo?
30
31 > 3. borgbackup often to keep changes between updates small - time to
32 > backup will stay short.
33
34 Apparently you are dealing with some kind of productive, high-availability
35 or high-throughput system. I only have my personal stuff, so I don’t mind it
36 taking a few minutes. That allows me to watch progress bars and numbers
37 going up. :)
38
39 > 4. borg'ing a repo into a repo works extreemly well - however there are
40 > catches based around backup set names and the file change tests used.
41 > (ping me if you want the details)
42
43 But what is the point of that? Why not simply keep the last x hourly/
44 daily/weekly snapshots? The only thing I can think of is to have a
45 small(ish) short-term repo and keep the larger archival repo separate.
48 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
49 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
50
51 “If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say
52 the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.” – George Carlin